Monday 30 May 2011

Desiderata - a poetic inspiration for everyone

I ran across this today and it reminded me of how I used to listen to it often back in my younger days.   I even had a poster of it on my bedroom wall.

The actual poem, Desiderata, which means Things to be Desired in Latin, was written by Max Ehrmann in the 1920's.  It was once believed that it was "found" in an old church in 1692, but that's been proven otherwise.  As often happens with great works whether it's art, sculpture or poetry this poem was never well known until after the death of the author.    Anyway there's info here for anyone interested.
http://www.fleurdelis.com/desidera.htm

 I found this image as a free wallpaper at this site. 
http://www.sacredart-murals.co.uk/

Click to enlarge (if you like) so you can read the words.  It's worth it.

I trimmed it a bit for this post, but kept the website name at the bottom.  The trimmed part was a plain coloured background.  As requested by the author I've also added a link to the site in the Sidebar under Links.   There's a lot of very nice artwork and murals there as well.




In 1972 Les Crane had a top ten hit with his spoken version of this poem.   I don't know if anyone else has done it, but I like this for it's simplicity and non modernization. 

No comments:

Post a Comment